Bringing the Community Together
The Racial Justice Coalition (RJC) comes together in commitment to racial equity and to advocate for the rights of People of Color with law enforcement through policy change, issue education, and relationship building.
Want to be a part of the Racial Justice Coalition’s work to reform our city?
Black Asheville Demands
An intergenerational collective of Black leaders in Asheville have made some important demands of our city.
Support the RJC
The Racial Justice Coalition is currently accepting donations through BeLoved Asheville. To donate to the RJC, please indicate this by adding “for RJC” in the donation notes/memo field. Thank you for your support!
The Racial Justice Coalition (RJC) is a broad-based alliance of individuals and organizations committed to addressing systemic racism and state-sanctioned violence against Black people and those most impacted by poverty, criminalization, and mass incarceration. Through grassroots-led organizing and community collaborations, the RJC seeks to achieve and sustain deep equity by building power to those historically underrepresented, dismantling policies and institutions that uphold racism, and reimagining a community where justice exists for all people.
- We believe that our community must commit to reparations for Black people
- We believe in divesting from traditional law enforcement in order to invest in the Black community
- We believe in radically reimagining public safety in the city of Asheville, Buncombe County and Western North Carolina
- We believe that the criminalization of Black people intersects with the inequities of many marginalized groups
- We believe that movement and organizing work rooted in structural racism should be Black-led
- We believe that grassroots leadership is directly linked to building community
- We believe in centering those most impacted by systemic racism and oppression
- We believe that undoing racism includes the long-haul work of shifting power and reallocating resources
- We believe in transformative and healing justice
- We believe in creating transformational relationships, not transactional
- We believe that none of us is free, until all of us are free